Saturday, March 12, 2011

The week

The rest of the week went well and it is not over yet.  I am heading over today with my gang (Tim, Zoe, Brigid and Rob). 

Tues and part of Wed were what we call discovery days.  Someone asks a question or figures something out and then we start playing to see what we can learn.  Wed afternoon, we had a fairly nice yarn from fiber we were not sure we could process into yarn. 

Thurs and Fri, Craig was getting ready for the AOBA show in Westminster, MD.  Part of his preparations were for marketing for the mill.  Printing info, making mimi skeins to hand out, getting samples of our work is not an easy, 1 hour process. 

I plugged along on an order that needed processing.  Running all the machines alone was a good test for me and I think I passed fairly well.  but it requires the work to be really linear and I tend to want to multi-task.  So all the fiber had to go through the picker and carder before I could head out to Eeyore.  All the rovings needed to be fed thru Eeyore before I could think about spinning.  Eeyore takes a little more attention now that we have the other head running and can do two sets of rovings at the same time. 

So Thurs I got all the rovings ready and in cans to spin.  I decided to wait to spin until Fri morning.  For what ever reason, the first 6 cans went beautifully and didn;t really need to be closely watched.  I was tumbling some fiber at the same time.  Feeling good.  Feeling competent.  Then I put the 2nd six cans on!  Not the same experience at all.  We joke that the machines get jealous and refuse to work well at times if we are not paying full attention to them!  So I was good and paid attention.  It worked. 

Oh, Thurs I got to have some fun and play in the rain and the mud in my wellies (boots people, wellingtons,,,,)  The landscaping is not done and will not be done until the water lines go in.  We are at the bottom of a ridge.  The water runs down and wasn;t all finding its way to the culvert.  So I built a small dam to get it going to the culvert.  Kind of reminded me of my old archaeology days! 


6 rovings go in
Both heads working
Fiber "cookies" being spun

No comments:

Post a Comment