Monday, January 24, 2011

A new day

Cold, yes.  Productive, yes.  For whatever reason, things went beautifully today.  It would have been nice to have had more time.   The 2 hour delay this morning ate into some of the work day. 

We were using an anti-static but we also needed a little cohesive agent.  Alpaca can be a bit slick.  We got a combo mixture from RI late on Fri and didn't get much of a chance to work with it. 

And whaalaa.  wonderous.  The carder and pin drafter were both working splendidly.  We did not make it to the spinner but we will first thing tomorrow.  And we have some rug yarn to make as well.  And maybe some batts.  Gee, i must be plannign on an actual full day!

 So we are aiming a a new goal:  two productive days in a row.  Seems very doable to us. 

I did not get any pictures today.

As an aside, Craig's friend Jen accidentally sent an alpaca sweater through the washer.  The result was, of course, felt.  She gave Craig the sweater to give to my daughter but it was way too small for her (and she is tiny for a teen).  So I decided to make something out of it for her.  I decided on a purse, but I wanted to try to retain some semblance of the original sweater.  I had to hand sew it as my machine was being tweeky but it should hold together.  I enjoy doing blanket stitching.  I got the idea for the purse from this site
http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/ProjectCenter/Project_Detail/Recycled_Sweater_Purse 
Their purse was felted after all the pieces were cut, so I do not think their use of the collar would have resulted in a pocket.  I did not line my purse.  If you enjoy felting with old wool sweaters, there are plenty of sites to help you out.  
Pocket made from back neck area.  Left the tags on as a reminder...

This is the front of the sweater.  it was a zip neck.  Now it is a water bottle pocket!

Do you all remember Claire, my 12 year old doxie?  Well, I found a site where the woman makes doxies out of old sweaters.  Her blog site is http://twokitties.typepad.com/my_weblog/felted_sweater_projects/  .  Weinermania! 

Someday, when I am not standing at the pin drafter 10 hours a day, I might get to make more stuff!

And since I am qusi-off topic and putting links in, if you need a good laugh, check out http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/  I wish I had this type of comedic timing in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment